Tuesday, December 28, 2010

What's for dinner - #1

I really like to cook.  And am not afraid of experimenting.  For Christmas dinner, I roasted some butternut squash with a large fennel bulb and an onion.  I tossed that in Kosher salt, olive oil and then sprinkled on a mixture of chili powder, ground cumin and ground cinnamon.  The recipe called for tumeric, but I was out of it and did without.

The veges were delicious with the Cornish hens with apricot/brandy glaze.  I had enough leftover veges to make soup for tonight.  I pureed the leftovers in a blender and added homemade turkey stock from Thanksgiving until it got to the consistency I wanted (somewhat thick) and simply heated it until it was hot.

I served it with an omelette filled with mushrooms which had been sauteed with garlic; then added some grated Jack cheese. Yum.  For dessert, I had leftover baked pears (in Gewurztraminer wine, ground cardamom, bay leaf, cinnamon sticks and orange peel.  Next time, I would add some fresh ginger and perhaps top with a dollop of mascarpone cheese).

I love that leftovers can be turned into another meal that is different and delicious!





3 comments:

  1. Did you just hear that noise? That was my stomach growling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. note to self,
    never visit here when hungry!

    oh to be neighbors....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Delphyne.

      Even more severe in winter, but.
      Your work is embraced in your gentleness.

      Thank you for the warmth of your heart.

      The prayer for all peace.   
    Have a good weekend. From Japan ruma ❃

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!